2.0 or Bust

An insight on the 2.0 GPA policy and how it affects student-athletes.

Art by Lucy Gaines

There are many rules and regulations for playing sports in high school. ASB fees and attendance regulations both play a part in allowing a student-athlete to be eligible to participate. But there’s also a policy that is less well known, but still relevant in the Garfield community: maintaining a 2.0 GPA or higher throughout the season. 

The policy states that students must have a 2.0-grade point average and have earned 2.5 credits during the previous semester at the time of the check-in, with three different check-ins throughout the season. The student-athletes also must be enrolled in courses that ensure normal progress toward graduation, as well as maintain the number of credits necessary for advancement to the next grade level. 

If a student is ineligible during the first check-in, they then must wait five weeks for the following grade check. After the second check-in, if the athlete is still ineligible, they can wait five more weeks. Following the last grade check, if the athlete is not eligible, they are unable to play for the rest of the season. Additionally, students are expected to be checking their grades in the Source, an online platform that gives current grades for students to access. 

“It is assumed that [students] in high school are looking at the Source on a regular basis, tracking [their] grades. There’s some assumption that high school students are going to be responsible for tracking their progress,” Athletic Director Carole Lynch said.

The policy, as well as other rules and regulations for sports, can be found in the Student-Athlete Handbook and online on the Garfield sports page. At the beginning of each sport season, athletes are required to read and sign their understanding of the policy and rules. This ensures that student-athletes are aware of the regulations they must follow for the duration of their sport season.

Following and meeting the 2.0-grade point average ensures student-athletes are on course to graduate and meet the requirements for passing their classes. However, some student-athletes feel as though the 2.0-grade point average is too low. 

“[The] 2.0 requirement is a crutch for athletes and allows them to put all of their energy into sports while putting less of an emphasis on academics,” senior football captain Marcus Merkelbach said. “It sets the tone that we expect less of our student-athletes.”

Despite concerns, the policy is effective at allowing most student-athletes to participate in sports while also focusing on academics. Student-athletes have ‘student’ first, after all.