The student news source of Garfield High School

The Garfield Messenger

The Garfield Messenger

The Garfield Messenger

A Merry and Bright Market

Seattle Center’s fun and new holiday activity.

For the first time, from November 24 to December 24, the new Seattle Christmas Market at Seattle Center will be open. The market is inspired by traditional German Christmas markets and hosts over 60 vendors selling goods from handmade ornaments to pretzels and potato pancakes. Admission for ages 7-17 is $12, adults are $20 each, people over 65 are $17 each, and kids under the age of 6 are free.

When walking in, visitors are immediately immersed in the holiday spirit as the air is filled with cinnamon sugar from the churro cart. The walkways are lined with small wooden stalls with vendors inside selling handmade crafts. The main attraction for the kids is the free carousel, but there are many activities for the adults as well. At the center of the market is a three-tiered stall in a pyramidal shape that sells gluhwein (mulled wine) on the bottom. The structure is modeled after a traditional German Weihnachtspyramide which is used as decoration during the Christmas season. On the second level, there are carolers and trumpet players who play live music and can be heard throughout the whole market. 

The crowd mostly consists of a mix of millennials and young toddlers. Spread throughout the pathways are informational signs explaining different German traditions such as gluhwein and handwerksgasse. Visitors can weave in and out of the walkways lined by stalls while chatting and enjoying their hot cocoa. The options for dinner are vast and there is a good amount of eastern European cuisine available, but it comes at a steep price. With tax and tip, one bottle of water and a bowl of spaetzle was around $25. If that doesn’t appeal there is food that hits a little closer to home like pizza. At the back of the market is an indoor dining hall where families can sit and eat at communal picnic tables and get a break from the cold. 

The plan is for the market to become an annual event that Seattlelites can keep coming back to. Overall, the market is packed with festive spirit and can satisfy any holiday lover, but not for cheap. For families that are willing to splurge on tickets, treats, and gifts, it is a great place to spend an evening. However, for teens without that budget, a better option might be Pike Place Market. Pike Place is free to walk around and also has many holiday decorations and occasional live carolers. Given that it is only the first year of the Seattle Christmas Market, grace should be given to the market and hopefully in the coming years, it will flourish into a Seattle staple.