The student news source of Garfield High School

The Garfield Messenger

Saying Another Goodbye

Lotus Thai Cuisine closed.

Tsion Belgu

As the bell rings for lunch, students disperse and go eat where they please, and one of those places happens to be Lotus. Lotus Thai Cuisine is a Thai restaurant located on E Cherry Street, right behind Garfield’s Playfield.

Walking down the halls of Garfield you can sometimes smell the richness in the ground peanuts, green onion, turnip, bean sprouts, egg, and rice noodle coming from a white plastic bag. Lotus ranges from soups and salads to their famous curries and stir-fried noodles. There have been lots of rumors about this heavenly restaurant closing down and it is confirmed that these rumors are unfortunately true. Since this restaurant has closed down, there hasn’t been much information given out on why it was shut down or if they are moving to a new location.

“I was sad when I heard that Lotus was closing down from a friend because that was my go-to restaurant during lunch

and I would’ve liked to know where they’re moving or if they’re moving so I can show them some more love,” said Adanech Muno.

Muno is a sophomore here at Garfield High School and states that she has been a big fan since she’s heard about Lotus and always looks forward to going when she can.

“All the workers are super nice and the food that’s brought out is always a 10/10, and I would recommend this to anyone who loves spicy food because they have the best spices,” said Muno.

Not only was this restaurant a place for students but it has also had a huge impact on people who lived around Lotus.

“I would come home from work and go to Lotus with my family to get take- out and it saddens me to know that a wonderful restaurant like this one is closing down,” said a person who chose to remain anonymous.

There has been a lot of changes happening in the Central District and it has had a
huge a ect on the people living in this area.

“I have been living around this area since I was a little girl, and it’s been hard for me to see these changes happening in my neighborhood because these restaurants and stores

have grown with me,” said an anonymous person who lives in the Central District.

It has also been said that the small businesses on 23rd and Jackson are also closing due to an apartment building being built. Some of these small businesses consist of Taco Del Mar, East African Imports & Restaurants, and Meti’s Hair Salon.

Sadly, it is said that near the end of December these stores will officially be closing.

Lotus was one of a kind and will truly be missed in the Central District but luckily towards the end of December they will be moving to a new location in Columbia City.

• News

Top Dawgs

• Saying Another Goodbye

News

Analyzing Alice

• News

Election Wrap Up

• News

In The News

• News

The end of AP?

• Saying Another Goodbye

News

History for Woke Folks

• Saying Another Goodbye

News

Seattle Faced with Earth-Shattering Risk

• Saying Another Goodbye

News

Mayor Mania

• Saying Another Goodbye

News

Counseling Crash Course

• Saying Another Goodbye

News

Goodbye Red Apple

Saying Another Goodbye