Bulldogs Sweep the Pitch

Sneak peak into Garfiled’s returning quidditch team.

With the spring sports season reaching its climax, Garfield’s long-awaited Quidditch team is soaring high after lacking funds during the pandemic. The team is ready for the upcoming season and isn’t looking to mess around. “It’s been a while, for sure, but honestly that makes it that much more important for us to come back strong,” third-year Quidditch team captain, Sarah Lessig said. “Be careful underestimating us this season, we might just prove you wrong.” 

Lessig’s claims don’t go unbacked either. Halfway through the season, and the Quidditch Bulldogs have only lost once. “Best team we’ve played?” Lessig considered, “Definitely O’dea.”. “A lot of people don’t know this, but Garfield has a lot of Quidditch history with O’dea. Our relationship with them has definitely gone sour over the years.” Lessig went on to explain the background of the rivalry. “They’ve had a problem with reclassing for years now and no one wants to do anything about it. It’s not fair for our players to have to play against players three times bigger and stronger than us. Not only that, but we’ve lost a lot of our best players to transfers,” Lessig exclaimed.

Before the pandemic, the team was at the center of Garfield scandal for weeks when star player, Nate Butcher, infamously transferred to O’dea after “moving neighborhoods” and became captain of the O’dea Quidditch team. “Everyone knows what really happened, we just couldn’t prove anything,” Wren McIntosh, chaser on the Garfield team, bemoaned. 

Students aren’t the only ones going wild for the new team though, some teachers at Garfield are even finding personal connections with the sport. “No one’s more excited about this new team than I am. A lot of people don’t know this about me but I used to be quite the player myself,” said Garfield’s very own, Dr. Hart. “Back in ‘92, we competed in the World Cup. I almost made it to the end too, before I got injured,” he sighed, with a shake of his head. “They lost their star seeker that day.” 

No one’s enthusiasm competes with the Garfield head Quidditch coach though. “The team this year is unstoppable.” said Coach Austin, known to students as Dr. A. “We even have some D1 commits,” he continued. 

The rise of the new sport has definitely generated buzz in the student body. “I would DIE for anyone on that team,” one student said. “I heard a rumor that Powderpuff this year is turning to Hufflepuff. Honestly, we needed a switch up from football,” said another student. Either way, the Quidditch team is sure to reach new highs this season, after all, its the only team where snitches are welcome…