The student news source of Garfield High School

The Garfield Messenger

The Garfield Messenger

The Garfield Messenger

Mastermind Macdonald

The future of the Seahawks coaching staff.
Mastermind+Macdonald

This NFL offseason marks the end of an era as long-time Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll has agreed to step down from his coaching duties. While this may be a sad fact for many Seattle fans, it provides hope and a new direction for the future of the franchise. 

Looking ahead, the Seahawks have hired Mike Macdonald as their new head coach for the 2024-25 season. Macdonald has had proven success in the NFL as a defensive coordinator, where this past year he coached an elite Ravens defense to be one of the best in the league. They ended the season allowing the least amount of yards per game at 270.2- incredibly low. Macdonald will become the youngest head coach in the NFL at 36-years-old, a massive change from Pete Carroll who was the oldest in the league at 72. Many hope this young defensive mind may be exactly what the Seahawks need to spark another set of Super Bowl runs.

While the Seahawks’ defense has been mediocre as of late, they have tons of young talent to build another Legion of Boom around. Cornerback Tariq Woolen put together  a stellar rookie campaign two years ago, when he tied the league lead in interceptions, he came 3rd in ROY voting and made the Pro-Bowl. Devon Witherspoon also had an electric debut this season, with an impressive 79 tackles, three sacks, and a pick-six. Lastly, 25-year-old linebacker Boye Mafe in his second season led the team in sacks with nine and also a forced fumble. The three will surely be key in Macdonald’s defensive scheming.

The Seahawks had several key issues last year that led to a disappointing season which Macdonald is also sure to address. While Woolen had a phenomenal rookie year, in his sophomore season, he seemingly forgot how to tackle, missing 10 while allowing three touchdowns. Former all-pro Jamal Adams was supposed to elevate the Seahawks’ defense but has played poorly and has struggled to stay on the field for more than a handful of plays in a game. Dk Metcalf,  the team’s #1 receiver struggled to keep his temper in check ,frequently trying to fight any defensive players that he lined up against, finally getting him ejected in a game against the 49ers. The Seahawk’s main issue from 2023 though, was the amount of sacks that they took. This  was the culmination of many factors, mainly: the offensive line frequently choosing not to block and let defenders right into the pocket, and veteran QB Geno Smith, who doesn’t like to leave the pocket, left himself vulnerable to getting hit full-on Despite all the struggles the Seahawks faced, they did keep many games close. In tight games, field goals can make or break a game and unfortunately, the Seahawks kicker Jason Myers managed to miss several this year, including a game-winning field goal against the Rams.

The future is bright in Seattle. With a young star-studded roster and a new innovative coach in Mcdonald anything is possible. He will hope to be a young, energetic, and influential presence in the locker room that could bring a team full of talent to the Super Bowl.