Downward (Bull)dawgs

Reviewing yoga classes around Seattle.

Looking to find a new yoga studio or pick up a new hobby? If so, you’re in the right place! As a fairly experienced yoga practitioner, here are my thoughts on some local options.

MOST BEGINNER-FRIENDLY: Seattle Bouldering Project Poplar
Class: Flow with Andreas ($15-$25)
Even though its main function is as a climbing gym, SBP also offers tons of yoga classes that are included in a membership or can be paid for with a gym day pass. Andreas, my favorite instructor, usually structures his classes around the components of the Yoga Sutras – a collection of Sanskrit teachings on the theories behind yoga. He emphasizes the idea that each pose is merely a suggestion, and each person’s body will get the most out of slightly different variations. Sessions begin with a few minutes of light core strengthening and flow into sun salutations, balance exercises, and occasional backbend or handstand work. The timing is just enough to feel a slight burn in most positions but moves quickly enough to cover a full range of stretches and skills. Classes are beginner-friendly but can also be adapted to fit more advanced practitioners. I would recommend SBP to people of all levels who just want to relax and have fun (bonus – there’s also climbing, a fully equipped gym, and a cafe)!

BEST ATMOSPHERE: Sol Yoga Leschi
Class: Hot Vinyasa with Yvonne ($28)
Upon walking into the Sol studio in Leschi, I was immediately impressed by how well-organized, airy, and clean the space is. The class was surprisingly packed for 9:30 am on a Wednesday, many looked like regulars with established yoga practice. I was initially super aware of the heat of the room, which was probably around 95 degrees, but after a few minutes it felt more natural. The class moved fairly fast with little explanation of the basic components of vinyasa (sun salutations, chaturanga, etc.), which may be confusing to beginners. The majority of positions were held for a few breaths at most and included more complex skills like backbends and headstands. That being said, there were always alternative options and no pressure to do anything out of one’s comfort zone. Yvonne, the instructor, was very encouraging and personable. I enjoyed the pace and intensity of the class, as well as the opportunity to experiment with heat and new movements, and would highly recommend it to people with a moderate amount of experience who are looking to try something new! Be sure to wear light, comfortable clothes, and bring plenty of water.

BEST MOVEMENT: The Grinning Yogi Capitol Hill
Class: Groove with Ashish ($24)
Ashish was my favorite instructor overall. His class blended the best aspects of the others I tried, beginning with a series of simple postures that were repeated throughout, but with added elements like handstands, binds, and balancing to make it more dynamic and challenging. The class was grounding and flowed well. It was slightly heated, which felt like a good medium ground between no heat or full-on hot yoga. What stood out to me was that Ashish walked around the packed studio the entire hour offering hands-on adjustments to those who wanted them, even calling people out by name with suggestions or encouragement. He reminded everyone that there is no “right way” to do a pose and that you shouldn’t aim to look like your neighbor. Even though it was my first time in the studio, I quickly felt welcomed and supported. Since the class moved quickly and there was little instruction on the basic positions, I would recommend Ashish at The Grinning Yogi to anyone with a basic knowledge of yoga who is looking to further their practice.