A Slippery Slope

A chilly insight into the incoming ski season.

Ski season is incoming and hopes for fresh powder and endless runs are rapidly increasing, but if the last few years tell us anything, you may be in for a lack of snow, rising prices, and lines that seem never ending.

As of December 10 Washington’s ski resorts remain unopened or minimally operating, and skiers are beginning to worry about the upcoming season. As El Nino blows in, meteorologists forecast one of the driest winter seasons in years for western ski resorts. It’s not just affecting casual skiers either, says Emma Croston, a leader and ski instructor at ULLR Snow Sports and a, “Not only is the snow delaying staff training but if it doesn’t start snowing soon it will be harder to teach on icy terrain,” she said.

Resorts also continue to become less accessible as prices rise. With Ikon and Epic monopolizing local resorts and ongoing inflation, ticket prices have soared. “One hundred fifty dollars for a day pass at Crystal is f-ing insane! It’s crazy!” Leo Powell, a Garfield student and avid skier exclaimed. One of the biggest issues with pricing isn’t even day passes. With Ikon and Epic buying all of the ski resorts, you can not buy a season pass for your favorite mountain. “I feel like I should be able to get one pass and make it a lot cheaper. If I want to go to Whistler or Revelstoke I can buy a day or weekend pass,” Powell said.

Even when you can buy a pass a problem quickly becomes apparent: the lines. 

Even with constant lift updates, resorts continue to struggle with the ever-growing hordes that come to visit the slopes. Olin Wilkerson, a Garfield student, reported on his numerous negative experiences with lines. “One time I was waiting in line for almost an hour at Snoqualmie because it had just gotten a big dump, but by the time I got up it was already all skied out,” he said. While the growth of snow sports and increased enthusiasm is thrilling, the unfortunate reality is that snow and time are limited resources; the crowds only heighten the issue.

While winter sports might have a few roadblocks this year, it is vital to remember that each individual’s experience on the mountain is up to themselves and what they make of their day in the snow. Whether it’s skiing backcountry and exclusively advanced terrain to avoid crowds, or skipping school to beat them, the mountain is yours to navigate, explore, and ski.