Fall Show Preview

Preview of Garfields High School Fall Show She Kills Monsters

Art by Jefferson Ashby

Each year a group of Garfield thespians produce the Fall Show, which is a production with student-led casting, directing, actors, and crew. These students are a part of Garfield’s popular theater club and are advised by Stewart Hawk, who has been the theatre teacher at Garfield for 12 years.

The Fall Shows are chosen based on their appeal to a wide audience. The first Fall Show was “Fuddy Meers” in 2012, followed by Brighton Beach Memoirs, Anatomy of Gray, and The Miss Firecracker Contest. This years’ Fall Show is She Kills Monsters, which centers around the main character, Agnes, and her reconnection with her sister through the game Dungeons and Dragons.

“[The play] bounces back from the real world to the fantasy world of Dungeons and Dragons with monsters, sword fights, and as she plays the game she learns more and more about her sister” said Mr. Hawk.

For those who aren’t familiar with the game, Dungeons and Dragons includes fantasy roleplaying where players represent characters in an ongoing fantasy story. It was first designed by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, and was later published in 1974 by Tactical Studies Rules, Inc. From 1974 to the present day, the game has drastically grown in popularity. Dungeons and Dragons involves a player  and a group of friends making up a story, then guiding their heroes through different quests for battles filled with deadly foes, rescues, and treasure.

Senior Carlin MacCorkle, who portrays Agnes, and has been involved in theatre since the first week of her freshman year.

“[My participation in theater] started with my older brother, who got into doing the musical in his sophomore year,” said MacCorkle. “I would always go see it with my family, and I just kind of  followed his path.” When she first came to Garfield, her brother was a senior and so they both had a chance to be in a fall show, “Anatomy of Gray,” together.

The character she plays in Dungeons and Dragons is a big role and has taken of practice to prepare for.

”I love the character I’m playing in the Fall Show, Agnes, because there are many different sides to her that I get to explore as an actor and figure out how to play,” said MacCorkle. “The show is very funny but also has sad or intense moments, which gives me the chance to play a role that switches between serious and lighthearted.”

Her experience in being involved with Garfield’s theater program has opened doors to what she would like to do in the future. “I definitely want to keep acting in the future, although I’ll probably take some time in college to explore film acting instead of just stage acting to see the differences between the two acting types and learn what I like more”, says MacCorkle.

With the change of the school schedule this year, students involved in the play now have after school rehearsals from 4:00-6:00 PM on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday as well as morning practices from 7:30-8:20 AM before school on Wednesday and Friday. But as the show gets closer, after school practices get longer in order to be prepare.

“If you know how to manage your time, then it shouldn’t really interfere with your school work, and so I highly recommend that everyone try theatre”, says MacCorkle.

The Fall Show itself consists of 13 students acting, three stage managers, as well as a set, lighting, sound, and costume designer. Also involved is a 5-6 member running crew, who, as members of the technical crew, supervise and operate the various technical aspects of the production during the performance. This totals to around 26 people working five days a week to produce the Fall Show.

“It’s a really, really cool show, with sword fighting, monsters, and more,” said McCorkle. If you’re interested in an adventurous, action-filled, story-telling show, then you should definitely check out She Kills Monsters and support your peers!

When: November 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, & 11th @ 7:00

Where: Quincy Jones Performance Center

400 23rd Ave Seattle, Washington 98122