The Lineup Lowdown

A look at upcoming music festivals to add to your summer calendar.

THING

Seattle Theatre Group’s (STG) THING festival will take place August 9 through 11 at Remlinger Farms in Carnation, Washington. THING has quickly become an established and highly anticipated festival among Washington music lovers since its opening year in 2019. This year marks a major milestone in the festival’s growth as it is the first to take place at a newly constructed venue within Remlinger Farms. In the past, THING has been located in Port Townsend. This location proved to be an obstacle for many interested in attending as the city struggled to accommodate the festival’s target turnout. 

STG, the festival organizer, owns a collection of local venues including the Paramount, the Moore, and the Neptune theaters. This new venue however promises major expansion for the longtime Seattle organization as it has a capacity more than two times that of the Paramount. Remlinger Farm’s is also fairly accessible to those looking to commute each day as it is only about 30 minutes from Seattle.

Along with an emphasis on music discovery, the 2024 lineup is stacked top to bottom with a collection of artists that need little introduction. From established rappers like Earl Sweatshirt and Killer Mike to St. Vincent, one of the greatest guitarists of all time, according to Rolling Stone. To review the many other must-see acts, the lineup can be found at thingnw.org. 

Tickets are available on Ticketmaster starting at about $350 for all three days and $130 for a single-day pass. Students are also eligible to apply to volunteer through the festival’s website, granting you free admission in exchange for your service. This is a great opportunity to fulfill your service learning graduation requirements while seeing your favorite artists for free!

Watershed

Those in the market for a textbook festival experience should consider visiting what is fondly referred to as ‘Shed’ the first weekend of August. This massive country music festival will return to the Gorge this year, a stunning backdrop for the festival’s big camping scene and exuberant country spirit. Luke Bryan will headline this year after a last-minute cancellation of his 2023 act. Bryan is accompanied by a collection of other highly anticipated acts like Old Dominion and Hardy. Whether you’re a seasoned ‘Shedder’ or just looking for a good time this summer, tickets are available now at watershedfest.com. 

A General Admission three-day pass costs $295, additionally, a standard camping pass costs $225. This festival is much pricier than the others on this list, due to the venue’s remote location which guarantees additional camping and gas costs.

Capitol Hill Block Party

Looking to save gas money? Capitol Hill Block Party brings an impressive lineup to Garfield’s backyard this July 19 through 21. Enjoy a summer weekend along Pike and Pine bouncing between this festival’s eight stages. Some of this year’s most anticipated performances include psychedelic bedroom pop artist Still Woozy and Grammy-winning Kim Petras. This year’s lineup also has an emphasis on local artists including independent student band Princess Pulpit. 

To secure your spot visit capitolhillblockparty.com where three-day General Admission passes are currently available for $235.