News Cruise

US News:

The Midterms

Beginning on November 8th, votes for the 2022 midterm elections were cast and the counting began. While final races are ongoing, Democrats are projected to remain in control of the Senate. Georgia’s senate seat is still up for grabs, with a run-off election between Raphael Warnock and Herschel Walker taking place on December 6th. The House still remains undecided, although analysts predict the majority will be taken by Republicans. 

Ingraham shooting

On Tuesday, November 8, 2022 at around 10 a.m. An Ingraham High School student (17) was shot multiple times in the back by another Ingraham High School student (14). After a seemingly ongoing altercation between the two, the victim (whose name has not been released) was rushed to the hospital, where he later passed. The student who fired the weapon was charged with “Unlawful Possession of a Firearm in the second degree.” Students from schools across Seattle participated in a walkout on November 14th, remembering the passing of the victim and demanding better mental health resources and gun control. The walkout was successful, with thousands of participants. 

World News:

Ukraine

Back in February 2022, Ukraine was invaded by Russia, as an attempt to overrun Ukraine and “demilitarize” it. Currently, Ukraine has regained the West, Northwest, and Northeast of Kherson, causing Russia to retreat from the city. The Ukrainian cities of Kyiv, Lviv, and Kharkiv are experiencing blackouts and freezing temperatures as a result of Russian missiles. 

Brazil 

Brazil has voted out their past leader Jair Bolsonaro and has voted their former leader Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva back into presidency. Bolsonaro started his term from January 1, 2019, and has since passed many laws and policies which led to the destruction of the Amazon rainforest and harmful pandemic response. His last day of office will be December 1st.

UK is in an economic recession 

The United Kingdom is currently at the beginning of an economic recession. A recent proposal for tax cuts brought the British pound’s value to a 37-year low, and caused severe backlash against Prime Minister Liz Truss. After being in office for just 44 days,the shortest term a prime minister has ever served Liz Truss resigned. On October 25th, Rishi Sunak, who originally lost to Truss in the election, took over the position. However, the economic struggles remain, and it’s costing the UK.