The student news source of Garfield High School

The Garfield Messenger

The Garfield Messenger

The Garfield Messenger

Dominating the Lanes

A look into the teamwork behind our Bowldogs’ and Bullfrogs’ success at the state and district levels.

Bowling:

As one of Garfield’s newest sports, bowling has picked up momentum in the last few years, with bowlers thrice consecutively qualifying for state championships. However, it’s not just these individual star performers who have contributed to the team’s success. For the Bowldogs, it’s their unconditional support for one another and commitment to their common goals that have kept this lesser-known sport alive and thriving at Garfield.

Indeed, this past season has been their most successful in history. “This year we won I think six matches total, versus in years past it’s been like only two or one,” said Bowldogs team captain Nola Zaugg-James. When asked what led to this, senior Romy Vos said the most significant factor was increased commitment. “Showing up really matters for building the team, community, and morale. And I think we had a lot stronger participation and therefore a lot of personal and team growth,” Vos reflected. This increase in engagement has helped the team grow closer. “I do think we had more of a tight-knit community [this season]. We had a lot more time together at matches because a lot more people were going,” Zaugg-James added.  

Without the unwavering commitment of this year’s seniors, the Garfield bowling team wouldn’t be where it is today. “I would say [the team] wouldn’t exist,” Zaugg-James commented. “I mean, the thing about bowling is it’s a very underground sport, not a lot of people know about it.” The team is also very small. “Like there are twelve people on the team,” continued Zaugg-James, “and so if enough people aren’t committed, then it’ll just kind of disappear.”  

Although Mia Thomas, Senior and co-captain with Zaugg-James, was the only bowler to qualify for state this season, her team was there the whole time to cheer her on. “We had a giant cut-out of her head, we had signs, and we made up cheers,” Ronan Jenkins, Bowldog senior, reminisced. Mia said with a chuckle, “I actually had other people at the state championship turn to me and say, is that your face? Is that your team? And I was like yeah, yeah that’s my group.” 

Jenkins, along with Vos, Zaugg-James, fellow senior Lucy Cohen, and junior Ilana Jacobson, missed an entire day of school to cheer on Thomas. “I think there was no question about it,” said Vos, “We stayed after districts to hear the result, and once we heard, of course, we knew we were going to go cheer her on. We’re all very excited for her and so proud of her.” For Thomas, it was the support from her teammates that helped motivate her during the six hours of non-stop bowling. “When I bowled and then I turned around and I saw everyone cheering for me, it made me happier and lifted my spirits,” Thomas recalled. 

This kind of team spirit is unique to the Bowldogs. “I didn’t even realize it wasn’t a thing other schools did,” Jenkins said. “Like there weren’t really any other teams like ours who came for the individuals. We were definitely the loudest also.” Even just in regular-season matches, the Bowldogs’ spirit stands out. “We always clap for whatever you get, even if you get a gutter ball. We’ll cheer for you no matter what and some of the other bowling teams in our district are just not that way,” said Thomas. The Bowldog leaders this year have emphasized an atmosphere of joy, camaraderie, and unconditional love. “I think that we did try to set an example of what it looks like to be a supportive team,” said Thomas, “and I really do hope that [the underclassmen] will continue that legacy in years to come.” 

Diving:

Luke Lendvay has always loved diving – jumping off docks and trees in the summer. Last year, following in his father’s footsteps, Lendvay joined the high school swim and dive team. Now a sophomore, he is Garfield’s sole district-qualifying diver. 

“Considering how I did last year I’m surprised and impressed with myself at the progress I’ve made this season,” Lendvay said, commenting on his improvements over his previous season, when no Garfield divers made the district cut.

Lendvay credits some of his success to his diving teammates Tamirat Fox-Ostenson, and his younger brother, Will Lendvay. “When we dive in the morning, sometimes without a coach, they help. We all help each other point out flaws and mistakes, and help each other get better by coaching each other.”

Lendvay also highlighted the connections he’s made with other team’s divers, specifically O’dea freshman Marcello Slye, and Ingrahm senior Charles Cady. “Charles is an inspiration for me to get better and Marcello is an inspiration for me to have a great mindset and get right back up when I hurt myself.”

According to Lendvay, as well as physical strength, diving requires immense concentration. “Diving is mainly a mental sport. You have to be in the right headspace,” Lendvay said. He is approaching the high-stakes district meet with a positive attitude. “Honestly, I wasn’t even sure if I’d make districts, and I was telling myself that if I make districts I’m going to try a bunch of stuff that I haven’t tried before at a meet and just kind of do it for fun.” 

Additionally, Lendvay commented on how he made it to districts in only his second year of diving. “It feels good knowing that I’ve made so much progress in such a short time, especially because I know that I have so much more time in my high school career to get even further.” Lendvay’s positivity about his future in the sport reflects his considerable potential. “I’m looking forward to learning new dives; and I have a lot of confidence right now on the board and with trying new things, so I’m looking forward to improving a lot.”

Swimming:

Senior Kyle Cobden wasn’t surprised when he made it to the district meet. He’s been swimming since he was seven and frequently puts up incredible times in a variety of events. 

Cobden’s strong season was dampened by a torn ACL he acquired pre-season. “Because [of my injury] I couldn’t swim two of the strokes that I normally swim,” he said. However, Cobden still managed to do incredibly well in the events that he was able to swim, participating in two individual events and two relays at districts.

This season was a good one for the whole Garfield team. The group managed to send all its swimmers to metros, a rarity for a team its size. Coach Brennon Ham credited this to a high concentration of skilled swimmers, differing from previous years when a few star swimmers achieved state times while many others were unable to qualify for the postseason.

“I progressed pretty linearly throughout the season, and it’s from hard work during practice,” Cobden said, emphasizing that swimming taught him that hard work brings results. Cobden also acknowledged the help he received from his teammates this season. Tiernan Pearson was a very integral part of my time dropping this year. He really helped me out in a lot of ways in and out of the pool.”

Cobden will swim backstroke in the Medley Relay at the state meet on February 16 along with Loren Olsen, Liam Mahoney, and Jack Niesen. His strategy? “Lock in and go fast!”