The Dawgs Dynasty

Trying to live up to a historically dominant basketball program.

Key Games
1-17 @ Eastside Catholic – Ranked as the top team in the state at the start of the season, TheCrusaders will be a difficult team to beat this season, which was shown in the first matchup. TheCrusaders ultimately won 75-67, although it was a back and forth game. Our second matchupwill be a key away game to set the tone for the team heading into district and state playoffs.
1-23 vs. Seattle Prep – Seattle Prep has been a sneakily tough opponent for the Bulldogs over the past few seasons, and this game will likely be no different. Prep is a scrappy team, and this is shaping up to be a close game.
1-26 vs. Rainier Beach – Historically our biggest rival, both games against Rainier Beach this year should be important and exciting matchups. The home game on December 26 will be a must-attend event.
1-30 vs. O’Dea – The Irish will be out for revenge in this rematch of the state finals from last year. O’Dea is always a strong competitor and this should make for a great game. One of the best games from last season was a 65-64 nail-biter against O’Dea, with the Bulldogs just barely ending up on top.

Legend Smiley, G – The only returning starter from last year’s state champions, Smiley is one of the top players in the state. So far this season, he has been the team’s primary weapon on offense. It was expected that he would become the star of the team after the departure of players, including Jaylin Stewart, but he has somehow surpassed expectations so far this season, scoring 40 points against West Seattle and 27 against Eastside Catholic in the 2 most recent games.

Jamari Harris, G – Harris transferred from Kentridge before this season, and he looks to immediately make an impact on the team. A guard who can slash and stretch the floor, Harris will be a major threat to opposing defenses all year. He has already been one of the team’s top scorers this season.

Sammy Taylor, G – Taylor has been in the Garfield system since he was a freshman, and his hard work has paid off. He is now one of the team’s premier offensive threats, along with being one of the team’s most technically sound and persistent defenders. Look for him to be a big focal point of the offense as a shooting threat.

Brandon Roy Jr., G – Taking after his father, Roy has developed into a crucial part of this roster. An undersized guard, Roy has had a high shooting percentage from three so far this season. In this day and age, a good basketball team isn’t complete without a sharpshooter, and Roy has been that for the Bulldogs so far this year.

Andre Niko, F – Niko is one of the few bigs on the Bulldogs who is currently healthy. That fact hasn’t hindered the team so far this season, as Niko has been a vital facet of the offense. He has been one of the team’s leading assisters so far this year, something few big men can say.

Graphics by Luc Robbins and Jack Sundburg