Volleydawg’s Secret to Success

The Garfield Volleyball team remains undefeated in Metro League through the first half of the 2023 season.

The Garfield volleyball team has had an incredible start to their 2023 season as they compete for the Metro League title. Led by Coach Jonny Sloan and captains Nicole Kwatinetz and Taya Poydras, the Volleydaws are undefeated in conference play after a close win against Ballard in their fourth week. 

Since her freshman year, Kwatinetz has proved a massive contribution to the program. Now in her senior season, she reflects on her relationship with the team. “Some of these girls I’ve been in the program with for three or four years now and it’s really great to see everyone’s growth in life and in volleyball.” High school volleyball is a special experience for athletes like Kwatinetz and Poydras, who have been playing with each other since they were fourteen. “I’ve made so many friends, memories, and get to look back on how far I’ve come with my abilities,” Kwatinetz said.

The team has evidently grown in many ways from last year, but it has also shrunk in seniority. Last season the Volleydawgs said goodbye to eight seniors on their senior night. Luckily this did not pose a challenge for the team, as many developing players from previous years have earned starting positions on the Varsity team. “There were a lot of people that were on JV or JVC last year who improved a ton and have been vital parts of our team this season,” Kwatinetz remarked. This is very promising for the Volleydawg’s future seasons. 

Many things are heading in the right direction for this team. Kwatinetz went so far as to say that in her four years, this may be the best season she’s played at Garfield., “Everyone gets along really well and is very supportive of each other. With [a] good team culture, we are able to stay steady through our ups and downs and pull through with a win in close games,” She explained. Now, the focus turns to taking the rest of the season one win at a time. 

Looking to the future, “If we keep playing and getting better like we have been doing, I see big things for this team,”  Kwatinetz said. The Volleydawgs are looking forward to the rest of their season, and then on to playoffs. Garfield took home the win in their first face-off this year against rival Ballard, but the teams will meet again on October 23 to conclude their seasons. Pack the stands, Bulldogs!